Daguerreotype of Montpelier, ca. 1870
By the time Montpelier was razed in 1871 it was falling into ruin, as this daguerreotype attests. The plantings by the house were overgrown and unkempt, and the famous front porch that extended the width of the house had come down, except for the section by the front stairs. This image is reversed—the small brick farmhouse that can be seen on the right was actually on the left hand side of Montpelier. This outbuilding is still standing and now houses the Thomaston Historical Society.
Donated to Montpelier from an unknown source
Accession Number: H-2-68