Silver spoons by Parry & Musgrave, 1791
These spoons, almost identical to the Joseph Cooke spoons pictured on the opposite page, were purchased by Knox from Rowland Parry and James Musgrave of Philadelphia, also in 1791. The bright-cut pattern is very similar, and the spoon handles are the same shape, with a double drop to the bowl. They also bear Lucy Knoxs cipher, but have P&M stamped on the back of the handle. According to Ernest Curriers Marks of Early American Silversmiths, Philadelphia city directories indicate that Parry and Musgrave worked together from approximately 1793-1795. However, Knoxs receipt shows their partnership began somewhat earlier. Probably these spoons and the Joseph Cooke spoons were counted as part of the same set in the Knox family wills and inventories.
Donated to Montpelier by Henry Thatcher Fowler
Accession number: E-1-06b
Henry Knox Papers, Collection 166 of the Maine Historical Society