Chippendale style dining chair, ca. 1780
This chair is part of a set of fourteen side chairs and two arm chairs supposed to have once belonged to Henry Knox, but there is no documentation to support it. The chair features a Chippendale inspired pierced splat, straight molded legs and a handsomely carved crest rail and ears. There is evidence of leather upholstery underneath the modern replacement. Theset was probably made in Salem or Boston in the 1780s.
Donated to Montpelier by Gerald Morgan, Jr.
Accession number: A-1-81